What are backlinks?
Backlinks are an effective SEO technique that can improve your ranking on Google.
People might think a backlink is when you are referring to yourself on your page – that is incorrect!
Outbound links are when you link to yourself on your website.
A backlink is when another company links to your website on their content.
Backlinks are not as complicated as they may seem.
Common types of backlinks
Let’s say you have your own website and you review items of clothing.
On your website, you may write an article about a new outfit that you purchased from a clothing store.
You will want to inform people of where you got it.
Instead of simply saying “I got it from a shop near my house”, you will provide a backlink to the company by linking the product URL in your website content.
That is how a backlink is made.
However, not all backlinks will have the same amount of importance.
Metric score and SEO
People may hear about backlinks and decide to create links to their website on WordPress, Hubspot or other free online webpage makers so it can boost the SEO of their website.
While in theory, it may sound great to have 100 backlinks to your website on low-quality web pages, it is better to aim to get backlinks on websites that have more credibility.
Creating backlinks on websites with excellent domain metrics will boost your ranking on search engines.
The main types of domain metrics include:
- Domain authority
- Spam score
- Domain ratings
- URL rating
- Amount of referring domains
- Amount of referring pages
- Amount of backlinks
- Ahrefs rank
- Alexa rank
By getting backlinks on websites that are more relevant to your business, there will be more viewers likely to have a genuine interest in the product/service that you offer.
Having a backlink on a company that has better domain metrics will increase the company’s SEO score in an organic way.
Five key facts about websites and backlinks
- Backlink creation is considered to be one of the two most important criteria that Google considers in its page ranking algorithm.
- 52% of marketers say that being mentioned by a brand’s website will impact their organic search results.
- 94% of web content across the world can have zero external links.
- 41% of SEO experts say that they believe getting backlinks built is one of the trickiest parts of SEO optimisation.
- 92% of marketers believe that in two years the number of backlinks will be part of Google’s ranking criteria.